- 100ml hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese chilli sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed with the flat of a knife
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 8 skinless chicken thighs (about 1kg)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 200g green beans, cut into 5cm lengths
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 celery sticks, finely sliced into 5cm batons
2. Line a baking tray with foil. Mix the hoisin and chilli sauces, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, lemon juice and five spice powder in a large bowl.
3. Add the chicken and leave to marinate in the fridge for 15 minutes.
4. Arrange the chicken on the prepared tray and bake for 30–35 minutes. Serve with the celery salad and a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
1. Blanch the beans in a pan of lightly salted boiling water for 2–3 minutes until they are bright green and tender yet crisp.
2. Rinse under cold running water and drain well.
3. Combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar and honey to make a dressing. Drizzle over the celery and beans.
For more recipes from Bill's Everyday Asian by Bill Granger (Published by Quadrille/ Photography by Mikkel Vang), £10, click here.