Nutritional information: Per cup: 529 kcals/2206 kJ, 32 g fat (12.9 g saturated), 15.2 g protein, 41.6 g carbs (40.6 g sugars), trace salt, 6.8 g fibre
- 150 g chopped dark chocolate
- 60 g nuts of your choice, roughly chopped
- 110 g almond meal
- 85 g tahini
- 75 g coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 100 g dates
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- a disposable piping bag (optional)
- a 6-hole muffin pan, lined with foil cupcake cases
1. To make the nougat, put all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Fill the muffin cases about one-third full and put in the freezer to set for 20 minutes.
2. To make the caramel, soak the dates in 375 ml water for at least 2 hours, or ideally overnight. Drain the dates in a colander, then put in a food processor with the coconut oil. Blend until smooth and pour into a piping bag, or a sandwich bag.
3. Cut the bottom corner off the piping or sandwich bag and squeeze a circle of caramel into each cup.
4. Melt the dark chocolate by putting it in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan or pot of simmering water. Take care not to let any water splash into the melting chocolate as it will seize up. Alternatively, put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and heat in the microwave in bursts of 30 seconds, stirring between each burst of heat. Chocolate burns very easily so make sure you clean the sides of the bowl down as you go.
5. Pour the melted chocolate over the caramel and top with crushed nuts. Freeze again for at least 15 minutes, until set.
For more recipes from Plant Based Paleo by Jenna Zoe (Ryland, Peters & Small, £14.99) click here