Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a starter
- 1 cup quinoa, 175g
- 1 ¾ cups water, 420ml
- pinch of salt
- 1 cauliflower, florets trimmed, 650g
- 1 carrot, shredded, 70g
- 1 bag of washed rocket, 70g
- ½ cup flaked almonds, toasted, 45g
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp tumeric
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1.5 tbsp mustard
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C.
2. Rinse the quinoa in mesh sieve (this helps keep the quinoa fluffy once it’s cooked). Bring the quinoa, water and pinch of salt to a boil then reduce and simmer for 12-15 minutes with the lid on until all water is absorbed and spirals are revealed. Turn off the heat and place a dry dishcloth over the pot for 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
3. While the quinoa is cooking, trim the cauliflower florets and coat in olive oil. Mix the seasoning spices and toss cauliflower. Bake on a lined tray for 40-50 minutes, turning a few times in between until a deep golden colour.
4. Toast the almonds in the oven while roasting the cauliflower for 15 minutes (set a timer so you don’t forget!).
5. Make the dressing by mixing the shallot, mustard and vinegar until smooth. Then add the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
6. Shred the carrot on a grater.
7. When ready to serve, toss the carrot, rocket and quinoa. Gently mix-in the cauliflower. Evenly coat with the dressing and garnish with almonds.