- 5 sweet red apples (try Fiji or Royal Gala), cored
- 110 g coconut sugar
- 220 g almond flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 160 ml coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- coconut yogurt, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas 4.
2. Slice the apples into pieces about 21⁄2 cm thick and spread them on the bottom of a baking dish. Scatter about 4 tablespoons of the coconut sugar on top and toss to coat the apples well.
3. Put the almond flour, spices, salt and remaining coconut sugar in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Stir in the coconut oil and vanilla. Spread the crumble mixture evenly over the apples in the baking dish – it doesn’t have to be neat and I tend to use my hands to do this.
4. Cover the dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the topping has browned.
5. Serve immediately with coconut yogurt on the side.
For more recipes from 'Plant-Based Paleo' by Jenna Zoe (Ryland, Peters & Small, £14.99), click here.