- 2 tbsp Bioglan Superfoods Chia & Flax Seeds
- 6 tbsp water
- 100ml coconut blossom syrup or agave
- 60ml melted coconut oil
- 125ml tinned coconut milk
- 80g apple purée
- 70g coconut cream (the cream off the top of the tin)
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 175 grated carrot
- 140g gluten free flour (doves or bobs mill are good brands)
- 100g almond flour
- ½ tsp Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp xantham gum
- 1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 70g chopped dates
- 50g chopped pecans
- 100g coconut yogurt or milk
- 150g vegan butter
- 4 tsp powdered sugar
- ½ vanilla pod or ¼ tsp essence
1. Pre-heat oven to 175 degrees.
2. Line your muffin tray with cases.
3. Grind up the chia and flax mix in a spice grinder or blender.
4. Weigh out your gluten free flour, almond flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and xantham gum into one bowl and mix together.
5. In a separate bowl add your ground chia seed to the water, mix and leave to soak for 1-2 minutes till it becomes a thick gloopy texture. Mix in the coconut blossom syrup (or agave), coconut milk and apple purée till smooth. Then add the coconut oil - make sure it's no hotter than tepid when you do this. Once mixed stir in the lemon zest and grated carrot.
6. Slowly stir in the dry ingredients to your wet until completely incorporated then mix in the chopped dates and walnuts.
7. Spoon the mixture into the 12 muffin cases making sure the batter reaches the top of the case. It is approximately 2 heaped tbsp per muffin.
8. Put into the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until they become a dark brown colour. If you test with a skewer it will still have a little moisture on it, it won't come out completely clean.
9. Leave to cool for at least 4 hours, this is because the muffin will stick to the paper case and not pull away cleanly (the joys of gluten free vegan baking!).
10. Blend together the icing mixture until creamy texture and smear over the top of each muffin with a pallet knife– sprinkle dried fruit, sesame seeds or chopped nuts over the top.
Natasha Corrett has teamed up with Bioglan Superfoods to share her tips, tricks and recipes all designed to SUPERPOWER YOU! Find out more at Bioglan.co.uk/superpoweryou or @SuperPoweredYou. Available at Holland and Barrett, Sainsbury's, Ocado, Amazon, independent health food stores & Bioglan.co.uk.