- 90g (3oz) vermicelli rice noodles
- 100g (3 ½ oz) bean sprouts
- 1 large red chilli, trimmed and diced
- grated rind of 2 limes
- 12 x 22cm (9 inch) rice paper wrappers
- ½ cucumber, deseeded and cut into
- 5-mm- (1/4-inch-) thick batons
- 1 small ripe mango, peeled and cut
- into 5-mm- (1/4 -inch-) thick batons
- handful of mint, leaves picked
- handful of fresh coriander, leaves picked
- 1 medium beetroot, coarsely grated
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
For the Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 200g (7oz) crunchy peanut butter
- 200ml (7fl oz) water
- 1 red chilli, trimmed and finely diced
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon dark muscovado sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1.5-cm (3/4-inch) piece of fresh root
- ginger, peeled and very finely chopped
1. Cook or soak the rice noodles in boiling water according to the packet instructions, then drain well and leave to cool. Once cool, tip into a bowl with the bean sprouts, chilli and grated lime rind and mix together well.
2. Wet a rice paper wrapper by dipping it in a bowl of water for 15–20 seconds until it starts to soften and become pliable, then place it on a clean work surface. Arrange a few batons of cucumber and mango across the centre of the wrapper, leaving a gap of 4–5cm (11/2–2 inches) either side for folding.
3. Add a few mint and coriander leaves, then a small handful of the noodle mix and grated vegetables.
4. Bring the bottom and top edges of the wrapper tightly up over the filling then fold the sides in over it. Continue to roll up tightly and place on a plate. Repeat this process with the remaining rolls and filling ingredients.
5. To make the spicy peanut sauce, put all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until smooth. Serve with the rolls.
For more recipes from Mildreds: The Vegetarian Cookbook by Sarah Wasserman (Mitchell Beazley, £25), click here.