Gone are the days when a bottle of water was sufficient re-hydration, nowadays there’s a raft of suped-up 'health' waters on the market, providing liquid nutrition for those on-the-go. If you’ve only just got your head around coconut water you’ll be equally intrigued to try the latest superdrink-of-the-moment: Maple Water.
Though many know maple as the sweet and sticky syrup that tops their pancakes, the naturally-derived sap is actually a clear and nourishing water in its pure form, flowing from Laurentian Forest maple trees in Canada and the U.S. each spring.
Far less sweet than the aforementioned syrup, maple water may not be the most tasty of thirst-quenchers, but it makes up for it with its multitude of wellness benefits, not to mention it has half the sugar of coconut water. Here are five legit reasons why you should give it a try…
1. Pure maple water contains 46 naturally occurring vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, electrolytes and gut-friendly pre-biotics.
2. It’s low in calories (only 20 per bottle), with half the amount of sugar found in coconut water and no preservatives.
3. It’s suitable for those following gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan diets.
4. Research shows that maple water contains a unique acid, ABA, which helps control your blood sugar.
5. It also contains more manganese than a cup of kale. This powerful antioxidant helps with everything from bone strength to muscle function, while mopping up damaging free radicals.