Sure, we’ve all been pouring chia seeds onto our salads for ages, but did you know these clever little superfoods can form the basis of a powerful, all-natural energy drink? Thanks to plant-based food blogger Oh She Glows, we can’t wait to try a Chia Fresca, a popular South American drink, full of good-for-you properties.
Simply add chia seeds to a glass of water, mix with lime juice and, hey presto, you’ve got yourself one super nutritious new blend.
Despite what you might think from looking at the concoction, it’s surprisingly easy to swallow, since chia seeds cleverly develop a gelatinous coating when soaked in water. Not convinced? Here are five reasons to try…
1. Chia seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are great for your skin and help to keep cholesterol and heart disease in check.
2. They also help keep you hydrated because they can absorb up to ten times their own weight in liquid.
3. They contain a whole host of vitamins and minerals, including calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc.
4. They are high in fibre which helps digestion.
5. Chia Fresca is said to have energy-boosting properties, as the seeds are a great source of protein – ideal then to pop in your gym bag.
For the full Chia Fresca recipe, visit OhSheGlows.co.uk