2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 medium to large red onions, thinly sliced
340 g (12 oz) wholewheat fettuccine
700 g (1 lb 9 oz/10 cups) sliced lacinato kale (cavolo nero) (from about 1½ bunches)
225 g (8 oz) Marinated Goat’s Cheese) at room temperature
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Warm the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and add onions. Sauté for 10 minutes or until beginning to brown.
2. Add 1 teaspoon salt, lower heat slightly and continue cooking for 15 to 20 minutes more or until onions are soft and caramelized.
3. Meanwhile, bring a large pan of water to the boil and add a large pinch of salt.
4. When onions are caramelized, add fettuccine to boiling water and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or following the packet instructions, until al dente.
5. Drain pasta and return to pan.
6. While pasta cooks, stir kale into onions, cover frying pan and cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until tender, stirring once or twice. Add onion and kale mixture, three quarters (175 g/6 oz) of the marinated goat’s cheese and lots of black pepper to pasta; toss well.
7. Drizzle in a tablespoon or more of oil marinade from the cheese and season to taste.
8. Divide among bowls and top with a crumble of remaining goat’s cheese; serve immediately. note: I love using fettuccine and other ribbon-like pastas for this dish, but penne and other types of wholegrain pastas work well, too.
For more recipes from At Home In The WholeFood Kitchen by Amy Chaplin, click here.