- 1.25 litres hot chicken stock, or 850ml stock and 400ml can light coconut milk
- 1 lemongrass stalk, tough outer leaves removed and remaining inner stalk very finely chopped
- 4cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 red chilli, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon clear honey, preferably raw
- 100g baby corn, halved lengthways
- 150g sugar snap peas, destrung and cut on the diagonal
- 100g mushrooms (any type), sliced
- 4 spring onions, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 2 sheets of rice or fine egg noodles, broken in half
- 2 small pak choi, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- good squeeze of lime juice
- freshly ground black pepper and soy sauce, to taste
1. Pour the stock (and coconut milk, if using), into a large pan and add the lemongrass, ginger, garlic, chilli and honey.
2. Bring slowly up to a simmer and then let it bubble for 2–3 minutes.
3. Throw in all the vegetables, except the pak choi, along with the noodles and cook for 2 minutes, then add the pak choi and simmer for a further minute.
4. Season with the fish sauce and lime juice, then taste and add some black pepper or soy, if needed.
For more recipes from Asia Light by Ghillie James, click here.