Half-moon manis are big news in the beauty world right now, with everyone from A-listers to fashion-forward bloggers getting on board with this cut-out look.
For a simple and grown-up way to tap into the trend, check out this chic paint job, courtesy of in-demand manicurist Jin Soon Choi. The manicure mega star – who worked her magic on the New York runways for the likes of Marc Jacobs, Rag & Bone and Derek Lam – has created a fresh new take on this ubiquitous style, and it couldn’t be easier to do at home.
Introducing the upside down half-moon – a classic French mani with a twist. Originally created for Tibi’s AW15 show, follow Jin Soon’s expert guide on how to achieve these top talons yourself, courtesy of The-File.com.
1. Paint half your nails white. Don’t worry about getting it neat, as you’re going to take most of it off soon anyway.
2. Wait for your nails to dry completely. This is going to make your life easier in the next steps. Now you will need ring binder reinforcement stickers (available at stationery stores and on Amazon). Cut some in half, straight through the middle. Once the white is 100% dry, place a sticker on the end of each nail to create the ‘moon’ shape.
3. Make sure the stickers are pushed down right to the edges. Soak a cotton pad in nail polish remover and rub over the nail.
4. Be careful while removing nail polish at the tip – you want the white colour to remain under the sticker. Peel the stickers off once you’re done.
5. Finish with a double coating of a high-shine top coat.