- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 x 400g tin (12⁄3 cups) white (haricot) beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g tin (12⁄3 cups) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g tin (12⁄3 cups) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 x 400g tins (31⁄2 cups) chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chilli (chili) powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- small handful of basil, chopped
- small handful of coriander (cilantro), roughly chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, stoned and sliced
- 1 lime, quartered
- In a large saucepan, melt the coconut oil over a medium-high heat, add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery and cook for five minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium, add all the beans, chopped tomatoes and the spices and cook for 10 minutes. Lastly, stir in the basil until soft. This should only take a minute.
- Spoon into bowls, garnish with the chopped coriander and top with the sliced avocado. Serve with lime wedges.
Recipe taken from Superfoods Superfast by Julie Montagu (Quadrille, £18.99)
Photography: Yuki Sugiura
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org