Makes around 20
This starter is veggie friendly but the different textures mean meat-eaters will love it too; easy to make ahead, serve as canapés at a party or the opening course for a dinner with friends.
- 1 baguette
- 1 small butternut squash
- Goat cheese
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Flaky salt & olive oil
- Cut the baguatted into 1/2 inch (12 mm) slices & drizzle with olive oil & salt, then grill on one side for about 2 min on high (can be done a few hours ahead).
- Peel & cut the butternut squash into 1/4 inch (6 mm) cubes, then roast at 400ºF (205ºC) with olive oil, salt & pepper for 20-25 min, or until golden, turning a couple of times (can be done the day before).
- Spread goat cheese on crostini.
- Put 1-2 tsp of butternut squash on each toasted slice.
- Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves and serve.
Recipe and photography courtesy of The Forest Feast Gatherings by Erin Gleeson/Forest Feast, LLC (Abrams, £21.99)