To satisfy a sweet tooth, but with a healthy twist, this granola is simple to make and packed with energy, antioxibants and minerals, to keep you going throughout the day.
- 3 tbsps of coconut oil
- 3 tbsps of cacao powder
- 3 tbsps of maple syrup
- ¼ cup (20g) of flaked almonds
- ¼ cup (45g) of buckwheat groats
- ½ cup (a large handful) of coconut curls
- ½ cup (15g) of puffed quinoa
- ½ cup (a large handful) of quinoa flakes
- 2 tbsps of sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsps of shelled hemp seeds
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5. Melt the oil in a small saucepan, add the cacao powder and maple syrup and stir until smooth. Remove and set aside.
- Put the almonds, buckwheat groats, coconut, puffed quinoa, quinoa flakes and seeds in a large bowl and pour over the chocolate mixture.
- Add the vanilla extract and salt and stir. Tip into a large baking tray and thinly spread out the mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes before turning the mixture over with a wooden spoon. Repeat at 10-minute intervals two more times, then remove from the oven when the granola is dark brown.
- Allow the granola to cool completely and crisp up. Keeps in an airtight jar for weeks.
Recipe courtesy of Lizzie Loves Healthy Family Food by Lizzie King (Trapeze, £13.60)