Switch up your roast chicken with this jerk version for a delicious, spicy twist on your usual dinner. The Easy Slaw balances the heat and adds freshness to the dish. Prepare the chicken, put in the slow cooker and forget about it until it's time to serve.
- 40g of butter
- 1.5 – 1.8kg whole organic chicken
- Juice of 3 limes
- 1 tbsp of ground allspice
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 2 tsps of sea salt
- 1 tbsp of rice malt syrup
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 bunches tenderstem broccoli, halved lengthways
- 1 pack pre-shredded
- Coleslaw mix
- 4 spring onions, sliced
In The Morning:
- Melt the butter in a hot frying pan and brown the chicken all over. Remove from the pan and place it upside down in the slow-cooker insert.
- Combine the lime juice with the spices and salt in the same pan over low heat. Add the rice malt syrup and stir until melted and combined.
- Pour the mixture over the upside-down chicken and rub all over, including the cavity, to coat thoroughly.
- Cover and cook for 6 hours on low or 3 1⁄2 hours on high.
In The Evening:
- To make the Easy Slaw, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, then gently sweat the broccoli until almost tender. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until warmed through.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and slice the meat from the bone. Serve with slaw.
Recipe courtesy of I Quit Sugar: Slow Cooker by Sarah Wilson