Ah, our old friend the spiralizer. This is one of those meals that will do nicely after a busy day at work. You only need a very tiny amount of cheese to get a strong flavour, a little goes a very long way. Delicious hot or cold, make too much and save for the next day's lunch.
- 2 courgettes (zucchini), spiralized or sliced into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
For The Pesto:
- 2 tablespoons of almonds
- 1⁄2 clove of garlic
- 30g (1 oz/2⁄3 cup) of basil
- 1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A few basil leaves, to garnish
- Blitz all the pesto ingredients in a mini blender until smooth, then season to taste with salt and pepper. If it needs loosening up a little, mix in a splash of water.
- Heat a frying pan (with a lid) over a medium heat and warm through the courgette. Pop the lid on for about 4 minutes, so it steam-cooks and softens a little, but don’t let it go soggy.
- Lift the lid and toss the courgette around every so often so it cooks evenly. Remove the lid and stir through the pesto.
- Warm through for a minute or so, then serve garnished with basil leaves.
Recipe courtesy of The Fast Days Cookbook by Laura Herring, photography by Danielle Wood (Hardie Grant, £12.99)