This is a simple and fresh take on a smoothie – heartier than a drink, with a thick and satisfying sorbet-like texture. Mix up the toppings to suit your taste, or set up a smoothie bowl station for breakfast and let everyone dive in.
For The Base:
- 150g of frozen blueberries
- 350g of frozen chopped bananas (approx. 5 bananas, peel and chop before freezing)
- 100g of frozen mixed berries
For The Toppings:
- Handful of hazelnuts
- Chopped banana
- Handful of blueberries
- 1 tbsp of coconut flakes
- 1-2 tbsp of almond butter
- Sprinkling of cacao nibs or dark chocolate chips
- Begin by making the base, I like to start by processing the frozen banana as this takes a little longer to mix. Simply pop this in a food processor and whiz up until the bananas turn pale and takes on a super creamy texture like ice-cream. This will take a bit of time and patience, so keep an eye on the mixture, and pause and open occasionally to stir the mix with a wooden spoon.
- Next, simply pour in the frozen berries into the processor with the creamy banana mixture and continue to blend. Once the mixture is completely processed it should be smooth and dark pink in colour with a creamy sorbet-like texture.
- Once the mixture is ready, spoon out into bowls and smooth the top with a spoon so it is flat and ready to be decorated with the toppings.
- Now to compile the dish, simply add your choice of dry and fresh toppings (a mix of fresh fruit, dried fruit and nuts works well.) To add more creaminess, nut butters are great for richness and another level of texture, so drizzle this over to finish. Get creative with the added extras, load the bowls with as many or as few toppings as you want, and enjoy.
Recipe by Sophie Adams, courtesy of Honestly Healthy