Makes 10-12 muffins
What better way to start the day than with fluffy, omlette-style egg muffins? As the base is simply whisked eggs, you can use whatever extras your taste buds desire, just choose your favourite ingredients and add to the tin.
- Light olive oil spray
- 6 eggs
- Sea salt flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Crumbled feta
- Finely chopped fresh chilli or chilli flakes
- Grated Parmesan
- Finely chopped spring onions
- 1 diced tomato
- Smoked fish (trout, mackerel or salmon) chopped into small pieces
- Chopped dill
- Natural yogurt
For The Salsa:
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp of lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp of runny honey
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas Mark 5. Spray 10–12 holes of a muffin tin with olive oil, brushing each hole to coat really well, then place in the oven.
- Whisk the eggs in a jug with a splash of water and salt and pepper.
- Take the hot tin out of the oven and pour in the egg mixture to fill halfway up each hole, then top each one with your chosen ingredients. Bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked through and golden.
- Meanwhile, peel, stone and dice the avocado, then combine in a bowl with the spring onion and parsley, adding the lemon juice and a little honey to balance the acidity.
- Season to taste.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and leave to cool for a minute or two. Remove from the tray – they may stick a bit so use a palette knife to release the sides. Serve with the avocado salsa.
Recipe courtesy of The Midlife Kitchen by Mimi Spencer & Sam Rice, photography by Issy Crocker (Mitchell Beazley, £25)