Tom yum is a delicious spicy blend of Thai flavours including lemongrass, galangal, garlic and chilli. This recipe added tender chicken, coconut milk and mangetout to this soup with carrot noodles for a beta-carotene boost.
- 100g of mangetout
- 1 aubergine
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp of oil
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 200ml of coconut milk
- 2 tsp of tom yum paste
- 2 x 170g free-range chicken breast fillets
- 300g of carrots
- 4 spring onions
- Large handful of fresh coriander
1. Finely slice the spring onions and cut the aubergine into 2cm pieces. Roughly chop the coriander, and thinly slice the chicken breasts.
2. Peel the carrot. Using a peeler, slice the carrots into long thin strips (or use a julienne peeler or spiralizer if you have one).
3. In a frying pan, heat 1/2 tbsp of oil on a medium heat and fry the aubergine for five mins until softened. Remove from the pan and set aside.
4. In the same pan, heat 1/2 of tbsp oil on a medium heat and add the chicken, cook for eight mins until golden brown. Add the spring onions and mangetout and fry for two mins until the chicken is cooked through.
5. Meanwhile, boil a kettle. Dissolve the vegetable stock cube in a jug with 150ml of boiling water.
6. Add the vegetable stock and coconut milk to a separate saucepan and stir in the tom yum paste. Bring to the boil then stir in the cooked chicken, mangetout, spring onion, aubergine, carrot noodles and juice from the lime. Simmer for three minutes.
7. Serve the soup in two warm bowls and sprinkle the coriander on top.
Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef