This veggie lasagne swaps traditional pasta sheets for nutritious baked aubergine slices, a layer of rich cannellini bean ragu and basil pesto for a flavour-packed gluten-free Italian favourite.
- 150g of carrots
- 1 aubergine
- 1 red onion
- 200g of passata
- 20g of pine nuts
- 240g of cannellini beans (drained)
- 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp of Mr Organic vegan basil pesto
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 40g of rocket
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Finely dice the onion and carrot. To make the aubergine lasagne layers, thinly slice the aubergine lengthways into at least six slices.
2. Heat one tablespoon of oil in a medium-sized pan and fry the onion for three mins, then add the carrot for five mins.
4. Meanwhile, place the aubergine slices on a baking tray and drizzle with another tablespoon of oil and a pinch of sea salt. Place in the oven for ten to 15 mins, turning halfway through.
5. Drain the cannellini beans and add to the pan with the onion and carrot. Add the passata and a third of the balsamic vinegar. Season and simmer for ten mins.
6. When the aubergine is cooked, construct each individual lasagne by placing a piece of aubergine on the plate as the base, a generous spoonful of the bean sauce and a thin layer of basil pesto and repeat. Top each lasagne with another layer of aubergine. Serve alongside the rocket, sprinkle with the pine nuts and drizzle over the remaining balsamic vinegar.
Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef