- 250g of plain flour
- 2 tbsp of baking powder
- 3 tbsp of sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 750ml of buttermilk
- 75g of unsalted butter melted
- 1 tbsp of cinnamon
- ½ tsp of nutmeg
- Clarified butter for cooking
- 120g of good quality milk or dark chocolate pistols’ Valrhona
- 1 scoop of Vanilla tea ice cream (or one of your choosing)
- Start by making the pancakes – Mix the flour, sugar and baking powder in a bowl, before adding the beaten eggs and buttermilk, whisking together until smooth. Add nutmeg and cinnamon, mixing continuously to keep smooth consistency.
- Add melted butter slowly, and whisk.
- Leave it to rest (if you have time) to become aerated.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan on moderate heat. Add a touch of clarified butter into the pan.
- Add a small ladle of batter to the pan. Cook for about three min, until bubbles appear on the surface. Then turn pancake over and cook for a further three minutes.
- Transfer the pancake to a plate and keep warm, while making the rest of the pancakes.
- Slightly melt 70g of chocolate in separate bowl.
- Now heat the griddle with a small amount of butter. Cook each side lightly, until golden colour. Add chocolate to one side on the pancake and cook until chocolate seeps.
- Take off heat and repeat. Sandwich chocolate pancake sides together, stacking on-top of one another (as high as you want!), dust with cinnamon, then pour melted remaining chocolate over, and scoop of ice cream. Enjoy!
Executive Chef Francis Agyepong of Christopher’s in Covent Garden. London’s original American restaurant will be serving 3 exclusive specials on pancake day itself, alongside their much-loved regulars. ChristophersGrill.com
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.