- 500g of Jersey Royal potatoes, scrubbed and halved if large
- 3 tbsp of oil
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 150g of canned green lentils, drained
- 200g of feta cheese crumbled
- 50g of sun dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
- 20g of parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 150g of young kale, stems removed and leaves shredded
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 small red onion
- 25g of mayonnaise
- 10g of umami paste
- 4 burger buns
- 2 small avocado, peeled, stoned and mashed with 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cooked beetroot, sliced
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the Jersey Royals and simmer for 15 minutes until tender. Drain and roughly crush with the back of a spoon.
- Heat two tsp of the oil in a frying pan, add the spring onions and garlic and cook for three to four minutes until softened. Stir into the potato mixture and set aside to cool.
- Once cool enough to handle, add the lentils, feta, tomatoes, parsley, oregano and some black pepper. Taste before adding more salt as the feta is salty. With wet hands shape the mixture into 4 burgers. Put the polenta on a plate and coat the burgers all over. Cover and chill for 20 minutes, or as long as overnight.
- To make the slaw, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Chill until required.
- Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan. Cook the burgers for six to eight minutes until golden on the outside and hot in the middle. Split the burger buns, fill with the beetroot slices, some avocado, a burger each and serve with the slaw.
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.