- 3 tbsp of raw cashews
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 225g of chopped stemmed kale leaves
- ¼ tsp of sea salt, plus more as needed
- 1 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- ½ avocado, sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Minced fresh chives, for garnish
- Put the cashews in a small bowl, add warm or hot filtered water to cover, and set aside to soak for 2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Place the sweet potatoes on the prepared baking sheet and prick them several times with a fork. Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until fork-tender (the cooking time will vary based on the size of the potato). Alternatively, to reduce the cooking time, slice the potatoes in half lengthways, place them cut-side down on the baking sheet, and roast for 30 to 35 minutes.
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the black beans, kale and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale has wilted and the beans are warmed through. Keep warm.
- Drain the cashews and transfer them to a food processor or high-speed blender. Add the nutritional yeast, lemon juice, 1⁄4 a teaspoon salt and 3 tablespoons of water and blend until smooth.
- Gently slice each roasted sweet potato lengthways. Using a fork, mash some of the flesh.
- Top the sweet potatoes evenly with the black bean mixture and the avocado. Drizzle with the cashew dressing and season with pepper. Garnish with chives and serve.
- TIP: I recommend making a larger batch of the dressing to store in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy throughout the week in other recipes. Also, when you’re using a high-speed blender, it can be easier to blend larger quantities of ingredients.
The Greenprint by Marco Borges, with an introduction by Jay-Z and Beyonce, is published by HQ, HarperCollins on the 29th August 2019 in paperback, priced at £18.99
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at email@example.com.