- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100g of dried puy lentils
- 100g of pearl barley
- 680g jar of passata
- 1.5 litres of chicken stock or vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan, add the onion and carrots, and fry over a high heat, stirring, for 10 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Add the garlic, lentils, and barley and fry for 1 minute. Blend in the passata and stock and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring to the boil, cover with a lid, and simmer for 40–45 minutes or until the lentils and barley are tender.
- Add the sugar and vinegar, check the seasoning, and serve.
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at email@example.com.