- Olive oil, for frying
- ½ an onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 tbsp of ground cumin
- ½ tsp of cayenne
- 1 tbsp of turmeric
- 1 large handful of chopped cavolo nero or kale
- 80g (3 oz/1/3 cup) of red lentils
- 100g (3½ oz/½ cup) of dry quinoa
- 400g (14 oz) of passata (sieved tomatoes) or tinned chopped tomatoes
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Dollop of coconut yoghurt, to serve
- Heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan (skillet) and fry the onion, garlic, carrot and spices for 5 minutes until the onion is brown and the carrot soft.
- Add the chopped cavolo nero, the red lentils and quinoa, cover with the passata and bring to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and leave to simmer under a lid for about 10–15 minutes until the quinoa and lentils are tender. Serve with a dollop of yoghurt to take the edge off the spice.
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at email@example.com.