- 175g of unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 175g of caster sugar
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons, and juice of 1
- 3 British Blacktail Medium Free Range Eggs
- 175g of plain flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 150g of blueberries
- 3 tbsp of granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas mark 4. Grease a 20cm round cake tin and line with baking parchment. Beat the butter and caster sugar with an electric whisk for 4-5 minutes until light and fluffy, then beat in the zest of 1 lemon. Beat the eggs together in a jug with a fork, then slowly mix into the batter, adding a spoonful of flour if the mixture starts to curdle.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder until just smooth, then spoon a thin layer (about 1cm deep) of the mixture into the tin. Set aside a handful of the blueberries, then fold the rest into the remaining cake mixture and spoon into the tin. Scatter the reserved berries on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cover it loosely with foil if it starts to brown too much on top.
- As soon as the cake is removed from the oven, pierce the top all over with a skewer. Mix the lemon juice and remaining zest with the granulated sugar and spoon all over the top. Cool completely in the tin before serving.
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.