Step 1Place all the ingredients into a cup or a soup bowl.
Step 2Pour over the boiling water.
- It is best to place a little boiling water in the bowl or cup first, in order to warm it up. Throw away the water and begin with putting the ingredients in.
- You can add noodles if you want something a little more filling.
- Double the portion of the recipe and add your favourite pre-cooked noodles in a larger bowl, and serve as a main dish.
- You can choose any type of miso; light or dark. Adjust the amount of miso, depending on the flavour preference. Use white rice miso for a gentler flavour.
- Dashi powder (stock) is available at most oriental stores: Kombu dashi (vegetarian kelp option) or Katsuo dashi (Bonito).
- Alternatively, you can use powdered kelp or shitake mushroom powder.
- For extra toppings and garnish, these are some optional green vegetables: broccoli, asparagus, green beans, kale and edamame.
- For optional root vegetables or squash: daikon, carrot, potato, kabocha squash, butternut squash.