- 100g of chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 100g of button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 100ml of red wine
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 100ml of vegetable stock
- 2 thyme sprigs, chopped
- 10g of basil, stalks and leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp of tomato purée
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and sauté the onion, garlic, carrot and celery for about 5 minutes until soft. Now add the mushrooms, pepper, thyme, basil stalks and bay leaves. Continue cooking for a further 5 minutes.
- Pour in the red wine, stock and tinned tomatoes. Season with salt and milled pepper to taste and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- When ready add chopped fresh basil and serve with freshly cooked spaghetti and a grating of parmesan cheese.
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at email@example.com.