1. Cherry & Coconut Waffles
- 4 waffles
- 200g of pitted cherries or frozen berries
- 1 tbsp of maple syrup
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 3 tbsp of desiccated coconut
- Optional: clotted cream
- In a saucepan on low heat, toast the desiccated coconut so it’s lightly browned.
- Set aside on a plate and use the same pan to reduce the cherries with maple syrup. You can add a drop of amaretto for an extra kick.
- Heat the waffles, according to the packet instructions.
- Serve them warm with the cherry compote, a blob of clotted cream and pinch of toasted coconut.
2. Rose Harissa Turkish Eggs
- 2 eggs per person
- 250g of Greek yoghurt
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 20g of butter
- 1-2 tsp of rose harissa
- Fresh coriander to sprinkle over
- Whisk the garlic and yoghurt. Sizzle 20g of butter in a pan and add the rose harissa.
- Poach the eggs for 6 minutes: crack each one into a mug or ramekin and pop them very gently in a pan of simmering water, don’t stir them, remove them with a slotted spoon.
- Pour the yoghurt into the bowls. Add two eggs per person. Pour over the rose harissa butter. Scatter with coriander.
3. Gruyère & Spinach Croissant Traybake
- 6 croissants, halved
- 200g of chorizo, finely chopped
- 90g of spinach
- 100g of Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 tsp of Dijon mustard
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and mustard.
- Wilt the spinach and squeeze out any moisture. Chop it up on a wooden board and stir into the mix. Season with salt, pepper and any herbs you like.
- Lay the croissants in the tray. Add the egg mix, and top with the gruyere cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- For a meatier element, try adding chorizo, ham or bacon.
4. Bacon & Bean Hash Browns
- 4 rashers of bacon, finely chopped
- 1 tin of Borlotti beans, drained and mashed
- 1 Maris Piper potato, peeled and cooked, then grated
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- Half a cabbage, sliced very thinly/shredded
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1-2 eggs
- Melt a knob of butter in the frying pan. Fry the bacon and onion, pop in the shredded cabbage.
- Season with the paprika, salt and pepper. Add the beans and fry, mashing them a bit.
- Remove in a large bowl, popping in the cooked grated potato. Mix it all together with the egg.
- Heat some oil back in the pan and when it’s hot, add a spoonful of the mixture at a time, flattening it into hash brown patties. You want the potatoes to catch some colour.
- Flip and cook on the other side.
5. Gorditas (Little Fatties) With Salsa
- 400g of corn flour or plain flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 egg per person
- 1-2 avocado, scooped
- 50g of pumpkin seeds, toasted in a saucepan for 1-2mins
- Salsa: 100g finely chopped tomatoes, juice of 1 lime. 1 finely chopped red chilli, salt and pepper.
- Mix the cornflour or plain flour with baking powder and 600ml of warm water.
- Form dough balls, the size of golf balls. Squash them flat with your hands and in a frying pan or griddle, cook them. Flip as you would a pancake.
- Cook the eggs however you wish, scrambled or poached.
- Serve the gorditas with the salsa, egg, avocado and pumpkin seeds.
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.