- 125g of Merchant Gourmet Ready to Eat beluga or puy lentils
- Half a yellow pepper, de-seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp of water
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs
- Half a ripe avocado, peeled
- 2 tbsp of sliced chives
- 2 tbsp of peppadew bell peppers
- Salt, chilli powder and caster sugar
- Prep ahead: the onion, pepper, tomato and lentil mixture will keep for a couple of days in the fridge and can also be frozen.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- Get a shallow, oven proof pan. Add the onion, yellow pepper, 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and the water. Cover the pan. Sweat over a high heat, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes until soft. Add the tinned tomatoes, bring to the boil, then lower the heat. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the lentils, and bring back to the boil. Season to taste with salt and sugar, to balance the acidity of the tomatoes, and as much chilli powder as you like.
- Break the eggs into the sauce, then pop the pan into the oven for 6-7 minutes so the eggs are just set.
- Cut the avocado into chunks. Put the chunks into a shallow bowl, gently mix them with a pinch of salt, the chives, peppers and 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- Once the eggs are cooked, scatter the avocado mixture over the top. Serve straight from the pan.
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.