- 100g of California walnut pieces
- 125g of butter, softened
- 125g of caster sugar
- 2 lemons
- 3 medium eggs
- 150g of self-raising flour
- ½ tsp of baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Grease and base line a 1kg loaf tin.
- Place 50g of walnuts in a food processor and blitz to a coarse powder, chop a further 25g.
- Whisk the butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale and fluffy. Whisk in the zest of 2 lemons and then whisk in the eggs, one at a time. Fold in the flour, baking powder and prepared walnuts to give a smooth batter. Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden and a skewer comes out clean.
- Just before the cake comes out of the oven, mix the juice of 1 lemon with granulated sugar. Chop the remaining 25g of walnuts and stir into the syrup. Prick the cake with a skewer several times and drizzle over the lemon syrup. Allow to cool a little in the tin before removing, and then cool completely.
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.