- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g caster/ granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 65g cup gluten-free plain/ all-purpose flour
- 190g ground almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 200g pitted fresh cherries, halved
- 100g cups flaked/slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 190C/fan 170C (375F) Gas 5.
- Put the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat together at a medium speed with a hand-held electric whisk (or use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment) until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, vanilla bean paste and almond extract and mix until combined. Don’t worry if the mixture looks like it is curdling at this point, it will come together.
- Add the gluten-free flour, ground almonds, baking powder and xanthan gum. Beat it all together just until well combined.
- Scoop all the mixture into the prepared square or round cake pan of your choice and spread level with a spatula. Dot the sponge mixture with the cherry halves and sprinkle over the flaked/slivered almonds.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40–50 minutes until golden brown on top and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the pan, then cut into nine squares or portions. This is gorgeous served slightly warm with vanilla ice cream for dessert or served cold for afternoon tea.
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at email@example.com.