- 500g of chestnut mushrooms, halved
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 leeks, washed and finely diced
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of tomato puree
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- ½ tsp of allspice
- 2 tbsp of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Bread or cooked rice
- Feta cheese
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and add the onion. Fry over a gentle hear, stirring until it begins to soften.
- Add the mushrooms and leeks and continue to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until the mushrooms are starting to brown.
- Add the garlic and stir through before adding the tinned tomatoes. Fill the tin with cold water and add that too.
- Finally, add the tomato puree, herbs and allspice and stir thoroughly. Put a lid on the pan and allow to simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes until the tomatoes have cooked down to create a thick sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in the fresh parsley. Serve warm with bread and feta or rice.
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at email@example.com.