- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 litre of chicken or vegetable stock (I use half and half)
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Roasted chickpeas (optional)
- A pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In a large non-stick saucepan, sauté the onions and garlic in about 1 tbsp of olive oil for 10-15 minutes, until soft. Do not let them brown.
- Add the carrots and cook for a further 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the vegetables catching. Add a little water if needed.
- Add the chickpeas, mix well, then pour over the stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the lemon zest and juice, and blend until smooth – either cool for 10-15 minutes and blend with a stick blender, or cool completely if using a blender or food processor.
- Reheat gently or cool before serving as desired. Serve sprinkled with the roasted chickpeas, chilli flakes, if using, and chopped parsley.
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.