- 75g of pancetta or bacon, finely diced
- 2 tsp of rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
- 250g of pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 tsp of fresh thyme, picked leaves only
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp of fresh turmeric, finely grated
- Salt and pepper
- 100g of red split lentils
- 500ml of organic vegetable or chicken bone broth
- 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 15g of parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp of crème fraiche (optional)
- Put the pancetta and one teaspoon of the oil into a heavy-bottomed saucepan and toss over a gentle heat until turning golden brown and crispy.
- Next, add the the remaining teaspoon of oil, along with the butter, onion, garlic, carrot, celery, pumpkin, thyme, bay leaves, turmeric and seasoning. Sautee for one to two minutes before adding two tablespoons of water and returning the lid to the pan. Turn the heat to down and gently sweat for 15 minutes.
- Once the pumpkin is just beginning to soften, add the lentils, stock, and apple cider vinegar and bring to the boil. Simmer for ten minutes or until the lentils are cooked and all of the ingredients have softened.
- Just before serving, stir through the fresh lemon juice and parsley adding the crème fraiche for a little creaminess, should you wish.
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.