- 3 tbsp of sunflower oil
- 6 tbsp of cooked or leftover
- Basmati rice
- 10 button mushrooms, brushed clean
- 4 radishes, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and very finely sliced
- 1 small courgette, very finely sliced
- 2 tbsp of frozen or fresh podded edamame beans
- Handful of spinach leaves
- 1 tbsp of dark soy sauce
- ½ tsp of soft brown sugar
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp of sesame seeds
- There’s no need to purchase pricey pre-cooked rice; simply simmer basmati rice for 12 minutes, drain, then allow to cool completely before using in this recipe.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a medium-sized frying pan over a medium–high heat, then add the cooked rice, pushing it down flat to form a level rice cake. Cook for five minutes until the base of the rice becomes crisp, then remove and separate into two bowls.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large wok over a high heat and stir-fry the mushrooms, radishes, carrot, courgette, edamame beans, and spinach leaves for two to three minutes. Spoon in the soy sauce and brown sugar, then stir-fry for a further two minutes.
- Spoon the vegetables over the rice, then scatter with the chilli, spring onion, and sesame seeds.
15 Minute Vegan: On a budget by Katy Beskow (Quadrille £15) Photography: Dan Jones
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.