- 1 aubergine
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 70g of quick cook brown basmati rice
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp of baharat seasoning
- 50g of sundried tomatoes
- 1 tsp of harissa paste
- 100g of smoked tofu, diced
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 25g of dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 75g of Greek yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Cut the aubergine in half lengthways, score the flesh and spread with half the garlic, drizzle with one tbsp of the olive oil and season. Place on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, place the rice in a saucepan with one litre cold water and a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, then simmer according to instructions until cooked. Drain well and set aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a saucepan and gently cook the onion, chilli and remaining garlic for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the baharat, cook for 2 minutes then add the tomatoes and cook for two minutes more until the tomatoes just start to break down. Fold through the harissa paste, diced tofu and the cooked rice.
- Remove the aubergine from the oven and allow to cool slightly before scooping the flesh from the skin, being careful not to break the shells as you will need them. Roughly chop the flesh and add to the rice mixture along with the lemon zest and juice and mix well and season.
- Stuff the aubergine and rice mixture back into the aubergine skins, top with the breadcrumbs, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and grill for five minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, mix the yogurt with the mint and serve alongside the stuffed aubergines.
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.