- 400g red lentils
- 1 medium onion ~ diced
- 4 cloves garlic ~ minced
- 6 leaves of cavolo nero kale (stalks discarded) ~ sliced
- 1 large tomato ~ finely diced
- 5cm piece of fresh ginger root ~ peeled & minced/grated
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 Tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp nigella seeds (black onion seeds)
- Small bunch of fresh coriander ~ finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1L water
- 400ml coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp natural unsweetened yogurt (or coconut yogurt if vegan)
- Add most of the coconut oil (save some to sauté the kale!) to a medium/large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, ground coriander, cumin, black pepper and onion. Cook for 3 minutes until onions becomes translucent and the spices smell fragrant. Stir regularly.
- Add the lentils and salt and cover with the water. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat. Add the coconut milk and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then place a small frying pan over medium heat, add the remaining coconut oil and the kale. Cook for 5 minutes and stir regularly.
- Serve up in bowls and top with the tomato, kale, a swirl of yogurt, the fresh coriander and a sprinkle of nigella seeds. Sit back and enjoy!
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.