Sign The #JusticeForFloyd Petition
Having already amassed more than 2m signatures, this petition is calling on County Attorney Michael Freeman to bring a further three officers involved in the murder of George Floyd to justice. Officer Derek Chauvin has already been fired, arrested and charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter.
Sign the petition here
Subscribe To The NAACP newsletter
The mission of the US-based National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) is “to secure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights in order to eliminate race-based discrimination and ensure the health and well-being of all persons.” Not only is their website full of information regarding census data and empowerment programs, you can also donate any amount of money here or sign up for more information and the bi-monthly newsletter here.
Donate To Anti-Racism Causes
Stop Hate UK is one of the leading national organisations working to challenge all forms of Hate Crime and discrimination, based on any aspect of an individual’s identity. The charity provides independent, confidential and accessible reporting and support for victims, witnesses and third parties. Meanwhile, show Racism the Red Card is the UK's leading anti-racism educational charity, providing educational workshops, training sessions, multimedia packages, and a whole host of other resources. Established in the mid-90s, the organisation harnesses the high-profile status of football and football players to publicise its message.
Write To Your Local MP
You can contact your MP when you, or people living in your area, are affected by decisions made by the UK Parliament or by the government, including the ways in which it currently tackles discrimination. You can write to ask important questions, such as what the government is planning to do in terms of hate crime legislation and improve diversity in parliament – there doesn’t have to be a specific issue which motivates you to write. You can use your postcode or a place name to find out the name of your MP and how to contact them here.
There are now several ground-breaking non-fiction volumes and novels addressing the issue of race and racism across the world.
- Reni Eddo-Lodge: 'Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race'.
- Layla Saad: 'Me and White Supremacy: How to Recognise Your Privilege, Combat Racism and Change the World'
- Bernadine Evaristo: ‘Girl, Woman, Other’
- Yvonne Battle-Felton: ‘Remembered’ ( compared to Toni Morrison's 'Beloved', longlisted for the Women's Prize 2019 and recently shortlisted for the Jhalak Prize)
- Jeffrey Boakye: ‘Black, Listed’
- Brit Bennett: ‘The Vanishing Half’
- Okechukwu Nzelu: ‘The Private Joys of Nnenna Maloney’
- Paul Menez: ‘Rainbow Milk’
Read, Watch & Use These Resources
- Frances E. Kendall: 'How to Be an Ally if You Are a Person with Privilege'
- Jazmin Kopotsha: ‘Yes, The UK Does Have A Race Problem. And It's Just As Troubling As America's’
- Follow @galdemzine, the award winning online and print publication committed to sharing perspectives from women and non-binary people of colour
- Follow @nowhitesaviours, an advocacy campaign led by a majority female, majority African team of professionals based in Kampala, Uganda
- Sarah Sophie Flicker and Alyssa Klein's 'Anti-Racism Resources'
- Being Black by Jane Elliot (YouTube.com)
Talk To Your Children
If you’re struggling to know how to talk to children constructively about the issue of racism, and without fear, @theconciouskid has made it their mission to educate parents. From helpful books, to important development in local and global news, it’ll help you stay up to date with all the most relevant information to encourage conversation at home.
The success of the anti-racism movement will demand years of work – from all corners of society. But together, even with these small steps, we can hopefully ignite change for future generations. When it comes to tackling white privilege, it is imperative to constantly check your behaviour and that of your friends and family, even if it feels uncomfortable. We can all read more, listen more and do our best to support. So start now.