- Half a cucumber
- 1 aubergine
- 1 red chilli
- 1 tbsp of organic seaweed salad
- 1 tsp of maple syrup
- 1 tsp of rice wine vinegar
- 280g of firm tofu
- 2 tbsp of sesame oil
- 2 tbsp of sweet white miso paste
- 2 tsp of black sesame seeds
- 4 spring onions
- 80g of brown rice
- 8 skewers
- Large handful of fresh coriander
- Boil a kettle. Rinse the brown rice and place in a saucepan with 400ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 20-25 mins until cooked.
- Using a peeler, slice the cucumber into long, thin ribbons. Place in a sieve and sprinkle over a little sea salt. Squeeze out any excess water, then place into a bowl with the rice wine vinegar and maple syrup to pickle.
- Drain and rinse the tofu, pat dry with paper towel. Cut the tofu into 2cm cubes (you don't want bigger pieces than these or they will take longer to cook). Cut the aubergine into 2cm cubes so that they are the same size as the tofu. Slice the spring onions into 2cm pieces also.
- Thread a piece of tofu, aubergine and spring onion alternately onto each skewer. Use as many skewers as needed. Brush half of the sweet miso paste over the kebabs and brush with half of the sesame oil.
- Heat the BBQ (or a griddle pan) to a medium-high heat and cook the tofu and aubergine skewers for 12-15 mins, turning occasionally until the aubergine has softened. Brush with a little more oil to prevent sticking.
- Finely chop the red chilli (remove the seeds for less heat) and coriander leaves. Drain the brown rice and stir through the coriander and chilli. In a small bowl, mix together the remaining sweet miso paste and remaining sesame oil to form a sauce.
- Remove the cucumber from the vinegar pickle and place on two plates, alongside the brown rice. Top with the miso aubergine and tofu kebabs, drizzle over the sauce and sprinkle over the black sesame seeds.
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.