- 1 tbsp of groundnut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 thumb-sized piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 thumb-sized piece of turmeric, grated (or 1 scant tsp of ground turmeric)
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 750ml of water, plus extra if necessary
- Sea salt flakes and black pepper
- 200g of firm tofu, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tbsp of groundnut oil
- ½ tbsp of sesame oil
- 1 tbsp of maple syrup
- Juice of ½ clementine
- 1-2 tsp of dried chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp of chopped chives
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. Heat the groundnut oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the onion and sweat for two to three minutes until it begins to soften.
- Add the sweet potato to the pan along with the garlic, ginger and turmeric and cook, stirring, for a further two to three minutes until nicely aromatic. Add the stock cube and measured water and stir to dissolve, then bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the sweet potato pieces are nice and soft.
- Meanwhile make the tofu. Place the tofu in an ovenproof dish. Whisk the rest of the ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth, pour over the tofu pieces and toss to combine. Cover with foil and roast for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and roast for a further five to ten minutes until golden and glistening. Set aside until needed (the tofu pieces will continue to firm as they cool).
- Transfer the sweet potato mixture to a blender and blitz until completely smooth, then return to the pan and gently heat through, adding a little extra water if you feel the soup needs thinning out a little.
- Once heated, divide the soup among bowls and top with the tofu pieces, a sprinkling of chilli flakes and some chopped chives.
Cook Share Eat Vegan: Delicious plant-based recipes for Everyone
Cook Share Eat Vegan is published by Mitchell Beazley. Images credited to Danielle Wood.
Available from Amazon
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.