- 1 aubergine
- 1 tbsp of Chinese five-spice
- 3 tbsp of light soy sauce
- 75g of sesame seeds
- 200ml of mirin
- 100ml of tonkatsu sauce
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 100g of pomegranate seeds
- 2 tbsp of sesame seeds
- Cut the aubergine into long 1cm thick strips and season with Chinese five-spice. Fry in a dry frying pan until completely soft and cooked through, five to ten minutes. Let the strips cool and cut into 5cm long pieces.
- Add the light soy, two tbsp tonkatsu sauce and a pinch of salt. Toss together and leave for 30 mins. Remove any excess liquid that comes from the aubergine.
- Mix the sesame paste/powder with the mirin and tonkatsu sauce, season to taste. If a little too thick, add a dash of water to loosen.
- To serve, lay the aubergine on a plate and drizzle with the sesame sauce. Sprinkle with the spring onion slices, pomegranate and sesame seeds.
Recipe courtesy of Frank Yeung from Mr Bao & Daddy Bao
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at email@example.com.