1. Prawns With Olives & Artichoke
- 200g of raw prawns or langoustines
- 15 pitted black olives
- 2 peppers, sliced
- 2 shallots, halved
- 1 tbsp of white wine
For the artichoke relish:
- 2 artichoke hearts from an antipasti jar
- 1-2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large handful of parsley, tarragon or mint leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In an ovenproof dish, lay out the shallots and peppers. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon over the olives. Toss in olive oil.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes.
- In the final 5 minutes, sprinkle in the prawns and a slosh of white wine. Cook until the prawns go pink.
- Meanwhile, either finely chop or roughly blend all the relish ingredients. Taste and season.
- When out of oven, eat immediately with the herby relish.
2. Bucatini With Shellfish
- 200g of bucatini, linguine or spaghetti
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 150g of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 120g of shellfish (prawns, mussels, clams or crab)
- Optional: 1 tsp of paprika, 2 tbsp of double cream
- Optional: A glug of Pernod or vermouth
- Simmer the pasta in a pan of simmering water for 8 minutes or until al dente.
- In a pan, sauté the garlic clove, then add the tomatoes.
- Pour in 1 tbsp of vermouth or Pernod for a delicious kick. Season the mix.
- Stir in the shellfish and simmer for a few minutes until it’s cooked. If it needs more liquid, add 1 tbsp of water. If you’ve used mussels or clams, make sure the shells have now opened. Bin any that are still closed.
- Drain the pasta and season, pour in some olive oil. Toss the pasta with the sauce. Eat immediately.
3. Rose Harissa Shrimp Stew
- 250g of raw prawns
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 inch of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 1 tin of chickpeas or cannellini beans
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of fennel seeds
- 1-2 tsp of rose harissa paste
- 1 red chilli
- In a large casserole pot, heat oil and add the garlic, ginger and onion. Sauté.
- Pour in the tin of tomatoes and 100-200ml water or stock.
- Pop in the beans, spices and rose harissa. Season and simmer. Taste to check the balance of flavours.
- Throw in the raw prawns in the final 5 minutes and simmer until cooked.
- When finished, taste again to check the seasoning.
- Serve with either a fine sprinkling of orange or lemon’s zest or heap with herbs from parsley or mint to coriander.
4. Orzo Salad With Brown Shrimps Or Atlantic Prawns
- 200g of raw prawns
- 175g of orzo
- 1 unwaxed lemon’s zest
- 2 garlic cloves
- 100g of feta, crumbled
- 1 tsp of fennel seeds
- 1 tsp of Tabasco sauce
- Mix the feta with the fennel seeds and Tabasco sauce.
- Cook the orzo following the instructions on the back of the packet. Drain and let it cool a little.
- At the same time, sizzle the garlic and then the prawns for approximately 3-4 minutes so everything is cooked.
- Stir in the feta, fennel seeds and lemon zest.
- Add any herbs you wish from parsley to tarragon. For further greenery, try broad beans or rocket.
5. Tom Yum Style (Hot & Sour) Shrimp Soup
- 200g of raw prawns or any shrimp
- 1 stock cube
- 2 tbsp of fish sauce
- 1 tbsp of tom yum paste
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 lemongrass stalks, split lengthways
- 3-4 chard stalks, chopped
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 10 spring onions, sliced
- 1 handful mint, chopped,
- Chillies (optional)
- Bring 500ml of stock to a simmer in a pan.
- Pop in the lemongrass, tom yum paste, sugar and fish sauce.
- Mix in the prawns and the rest of the vegetables.
- After approximately 3-4 minutes the prawns should be cooked. Taste and season if you need to.
- Pour into bowls with stacks of mint and sliced chillies.